Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Breaking Up Is Hard To Do

Leaving old habits behind is kind of like a breakup. I'm not talking a polite "let's still be friends," type of breakup. It's not a Ross and Rachel, "We were on a break." More along the lines of Sid and Nancy, where someone ends up dead. And then the other person ends up OD'd on heroine... or donuts. Jenna Marbles, of YouTube fame, says in her video, How Diets Work, "Lady Gaga's 'Bad Romance,' isn't about a break up! It's about my relationship with food!" (She is quite possibly one of the funniest people on the planet, very curse word heavy. Consider yourself warned.) I couldn't agree more.

The thing about changing your way of eating is that you can't get away from having to eat, and the bad romance is everywhere you go! Just hop in your car and go to work and on your way you are passing by countless terrible options. (There is a stinking Culver's opening less than a mile from our front door. I've told Rob we're moving.) Once I get to work, this is where the heavy artillery comes in. We have potlucks, fundraiser bake sales, bagels and donuts and muffins--Oh my! The truth is, it still hurts to pass it by. I still want it. I cannot begin to describe how much that annoys me. Even so, it's important to allow the time for changes to take place. You have to walk before you learn to run. The same is true with life change. It's a process that takes time. So instead of focusing on the Sid and Nancy aspect of weight loss, today I am focusing on the positive.

I want it less than I used to want it before. June first I sat at my desk that Friday afternoon and almost cried because I wanted a soda and candy so bad. I wish I was joking about this. It was super pathetisad and I may have whined for several minutes before I just drank some more water. I'm not even really a candy eater, but it was the thought that I couldn't have it that made me want it. My palate is starting to change. I am surprised at what I am finding satisfying as a meal. You know sugar,  potato, and bread free foods put together still make a meal. Weird. This morning I was surprised at how sweet the fresh tomatoes tasted. It was absolutely lovely and delicious. Making myself hungry for dinner.

WOD

MetCon (CF term for Metabolic Conditioning, which is largely a cardiovascular effort.)

2 Minutes max reps sit ups
2 Minutes max calorie burn rowing
2 Minutes max rep box step ups
1 Minute rest
Repeat. Total all reps+calories for score. My score today was 137.

Nutrition

Breakfast: Variation on my BAT, 3 slices of ham, 2 Roma tomatoes, and 1 avocado with a splash of lime juice. Coffee with H&H and Splenda.

Lunch: 1 Spicy chicken sausage with peppers and onions in a tomato sauce.

Snack: 1 low carb ice cream bar.

Dinner: Gluten free BBQ beef and creamed spinach.


I wish that this process took about as long as it takes to microwave a bag of popcorn. It doesn't. It takes ever so slightly longer. However, I'm in it for the long haul. Thanks for being here with me. Any suggestions on how to continue the breakup are greatly appreciated. No one wants to go crawling back to their evil ex.

xo,

Kendra

3 comments:

  1. Kendra -

    I love the blog and your menus look yummy, but... a reference to Sid and Nancy? I'm in awe. Very nice.


    Dee Plueard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dee! I found it a fitting analogy. Glad you like it!

      Delete
  2. Temptation is everywhere!!! My mom and I often comment about our (Americans') obsession with food--what's with the potlucks and cake-centered celebrations?? Why not celebrate with a fruit or veggie tray?? It is ridiculous. Even a simple home group meeting has to have food--and usually sweets!! We can't do ANYthing without food being involved! And usually unhealthy foods.
    I was on a food rehab plan when our women's ministry had a dessert celebration at the end of a Bible study series--really!?!? That was the last thing any of us needed! One of my participants knew I was not eating sweets and brought me carrots--and I munched on them AND shared them at the event--and I was happy!! :)
    I think the mention that you're in it for the long haul says it all--no quick fixes, no over-night changes. Any changes I have made that have lasted were done one small baby step at a time!

    ReplyDelete