Sunday, July 8, 2012

What a week!

Sorry for being lost in space these last few days. It's been a  crazy busy week at work! Too many people are on vacay and we are going through a major initiative for my department. Next week still looks like it's going to be a little ridiculous, but hopefully slowing down from there.

So how are you all doing?

Wednesday was the 4th of July, a day where we celebrate our freedom and make awesome food. We went over to BFF's house and spent time with friends. I made a lethal desert, s'mores bars and sadly I came with some leftovers. So what did I do? I stuffed them all into individual baggies, saved one for my sweet hubby's lunch, and one for me and passed them out to the first six people I saw at work the next morning. I cannot keep that stuff in the house. It's just too darn delicious. I thought I was feeling a little strong on resisting temptation, turns out I was wrong, not so strong. I've been sampling things, and tasting, and wanting to cook things that we could do without just because the ingredients are in the house. Oh and work has had a two week long bake sale. I wish I could make this stuff up. Two whole weeks. Is this really necessary? I finally gave them money to make them stop asking me to buy muffins.Then I took some and passed them out to people on my way to my desk. First of all, most of it will make me sick, but I still wish I could have it. Second of all, most of the people I work with have to sit for a living, the last thing any of us need is an opportunity to eat more during the day. America's cubicles are the real cause for the obesity epidemic! It's interesting though, I ate a couple of splurge items on purpose as a splurge, and then I found myself wanting more and more. So splurge items may need to be a single serving thing for now, not anything that I keep in the house. I can't have it if it's not in my reach. Also, just a few splurge items made me feel awful. No joke, all I had was potato salad, Doritos, and baked beans on the 4th, and I felt awful for days. I think the dark chocolate I used for the s'mores bars triggered some migraines. I have to get this stuff out of the house quick.

I had brunch with some friends yesterday morning. I talked with my dear friend about where she is in her personal struggle and I see so much of myself in her. This post is for you J-girl.

The last post I wrote was about how I can feel my determination strengthening. I feel myself getting stronger and leaner and more focused. And then I got a little too arrogant and ate stuff I shouldn't and it made me feel sick for days.What happens when you fall down? There is another voice that speaks to my heart. It speaks to my fear, and vulnerability and hurt. It tells me that I am a failure. That I can't do this. It tells me to lie down and quit and admit defeat. It is also a liar. And I don't have to listen.

Let me say that again. It is a liar and you don't have to listen!

Stop for a moment and take in some truth. You were beautifully created with purpose. You are exactly where you need to be at this moment. Do not compare yourself to where others are, but consider where you are. That is your starting point. Your journey to health doesn't have to look like any one's but your own. And no matter where you begin, the point is that you begin.

Now when it comes to changing your life, it's a little overwhelming. Start small. If you don't know how to overhaul absolutely everything, then start out with making changes to your breakfast. Go to bed half an hour earlier, get up earlier, and start making a healthy breakfast. No cereal, bread or pop-tarts. Eggs, lean proteins, veggies, fruit. Drop the dairy. Do that for a couple of weeks, and then move on to overhauling your lunches, do that for a few weeks and then move on to changing your dinners. Learn to measure out portions and allow your body to feel hungry before eating. It has become very intuitive for me, and when I deviate from it, at least with the Celiac's, I am keenly aware of my mistakes.

What happens when you fall down? You get back up. No matter how many times you fall down, you get back up. Your life, health, and dreams are absolutely worth fighting for. You can do this. I am here cheering you on.

WOD

Rest day

Nutrition

Breakfast: 1 coconut paleo pancake, chorizo and eggs, bacon. Coffee with H&H and Splenda.

Lunch: we'll probably grab a quick bite out, usually opt for a chicken salad of some sort. I'll update it later.

Dinner: Turkey burgers with cheese, no buns, steamed veggies.


See you all tomorrow. I will do my best with the work load this week to get posts up daily. Sorry for the long hiatus. And thank you all so much for your love and support. We are in this together and for the long haul.

xo,

Kendra

3 comments:

  1. what are your favorite healthy snacks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm somewhat limited on what I can eat for healthy snacks. I don't do fruit because it makes me feel icky. I like the prepackaged protein shakes that I can get at Costco. Premier Nutrition is the brand I like because it is lowest carbs. I like the vanilla slightly better than the chocolate. Neither is what I'd call delicious, but it fits the bill. I also like a small 1 oz. serving of almonds here and there, but I struggle with them because they get stuck in my braces. Almond butter and coconut butter are two food items that I am trying to utilize more, but I've yet to strike on something that's really snackable with them because anything that would naturally accompany something like almond butter gets stuck in my braces or I can't digest. I'll update you once I hit on something a little better with these two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you! You are such a gift in my life and I am so thankful to God for you. I am so blessed to have you on this journey cheering me on and if I have half the success you've had I will be ecstatic! I'm so in awe of your strength and bravery and I celebrate each of your successes with you! Besos!

    ReplyDelete