Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Popcorn Cubicle Threat

The guy over the cubicle wall from me just popped a bag of popcorn and was sitting there munching on it and withing seconds my nose was taking in the delicious aroma. I told him I hated him and then threatened to punch him in the throat and steal his popcorn. His windpipe remained intact and I didn't have any of his popcorn, but wow that smell makes it really tempting. The smell alone makes you want it. Now I had just eaten lunch and I wasn't hungry, so I said no when my gracious colleague offered me some even after I had threatened him with my wrath. Not that he was really concerned as my wrath is about as non-threatening as it gets. But it made me think about how many eating cues we respond to and how to deal with the temptation of eating when you aren't even hungry.

Allow me to begin by saying, you don't gain a substantial amount of weight unless you eat more than you should and exercise less then you should. You gain lots and lots of weight by using food to deal with pretty much everything in your life. But how do you stop turning to food and turn off that switch? It's powerful once you've made that connection in your brain, and it's hard to undo, but it is possible. Try a few of these ideas on and see if it helps.

H.A.L.T. Before You Eat. Ask yourself, am I Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired? Unless your honest answer is hungry, put the food down. That is the beginning. Then comes the task of determining what you are going to do with the emotional energy that needs an outlet.

   *Go for a walk, or choose a physical activity of some kind. Bike, swim, WOD, just do it and wait for the sweet rush of endorphins to help turn your mood around.
   *Write down what you are feeling in a journal. This can be very cathartic.
   *Get some chores done. I clean whenever I have angry energy that needs undoing. (I should get angry more often)
   *Cry it out. Sometimes you just need to wrap yourself up in that bad mood and allow yourself to feel whatever emotion it is your are feeling. Deal with it by letting it all go. Cry it out. Watch a sad movie if you need a little motivation.
   *Count your blessings. Sometimes our attitude needs a little adjustment, and taking the time to be grateful and express that gratitude reinforces the positive in our lives.
   *Share your happiness! Even positive stress can cause someone to turn to food. Do not reward yourself with food. You are not a dog! Share your happiness with a friend, and celebrate with a non-food reward.
   *Ignore it. Choose to distract your desire to eat with a book, a hobby, or maybe get some much needed sleep.

WOD

400 meter row
15 Goblet Squats, 15 push ups (two rounds)
Back Squat, five sets of 2 reps each rep getting heavier trying to max out by the 5th set. 5 set at 125#! I don't remember the last 1 rep max I had, but that was close. Followed by a set of 10 at 85#.
Cash out:
300 meter row, 21 box step ups 3 rounds for time. Finished in 12:05.

Today was insane, especially after last night's burpee festivities. My legs are fried and I've been walking funny all day. Nothing like sore glutes, hammies, and pretty much every large muscle group in my body. So sore! So awesome!

Nutrition:

Breakfast: 6.5oz boneless skinless chicken breast, coffee with H&H and Splenda.

Snack: 2 sticks of string cheese, 1oz almonds

Lunch: 7oz. Dijon chicken, 1 cup steamed broccoli.

Snack: Premier Nutrition Chocolate Shake.

Dinner: 12oz sauteed shrimp, 1 cup steamed broccoli, 2 tbs butter. 1 piece of saltwater taffy for dessert.


The list above is obviously far from exhaustive. Please feel free to leave me any ideas you have or use, as this is still a moving target for me. I still use chocolate medicinally once a month, and there are times that a handful of something makes it into my mouth before I stop and evaluate what is going on in my heart and body. Hope you are all having a spectacular week so far!

xo,

Kendra


No comments:

Post a Comment